A needle in a haystack
Something that is impossible or extremely difficult to find, especially because the area you have to search is too large:
Finding the piece of paper I need in this huge pile of documents is like looking for/trying to find a needle in a haystack
A fact, idea, or subject that takes people’s attention away from the central point being considered:
The police investigated many clues, but they were all red herrings.
Racism was not a factor in the case – that was a red herring thrown in by the defense lawyers.
Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
Judging something has a number of obstacles, namely:
- First of all, there is the healthy human conversation, if one notices that such a thing falls away there is something serious that is lacking in the event.
- The obviousness falls away because the data is not simply made available, due to the circumstances you find yourself in.
- When assessing, often only fragmentary data is known or taken into account. One sits working in twilight or darkness, as it were, and sees nothing at all of details in the environment, by touch it is impossible to find something.
- The mindset can be such that it is impossible to arrive at a fair judgment, among other things, one does not have the awareness, insight, value scale, emotional sensitivity or level and so on, to arrive at a healthy understanding.
- When one is indifferent or has no knowledge of how something works or is stuck with a narrow view of something, one also does not have a fair or correct judgment in accordance with a reality that one cannot grasp, so to speak.
- One may not know the circumstances, so that something may occur only in certain circumstances that do not normally occur. One has no image or reference regarding those conditions that never occur. A simple example: olive oil at a temperature of around zero solidifies completely and is impossible to get out of the bottle. This is something you normally never encounter, so you don’t know about it.
- The legal system can be as leaky as a sieve – as revealed in so many ways in the videos. Or there can be abuse in so many ways that you get into a context where everything is completely blocked. It should be the case that fraud systems to disrupt a course should not be possible. This is not reality and so one should take into account that mistakes can be made.
- Working with double standards, two worlds. It is not the world of the person who has to judge. It is something that is completely foreign to him.
- A child is judged with care in an appropriate way corresponding to his world.
- Ethics must be given a chance, for example the exceptional situation of Mauro, the best known asylum seeker in the Netherlands, could not in reality be sent back on a correct basis. Despite eventually a team of 12 professors from all kinds of universities in the Netherlands made it clear that here the provided means of discretionary power of the minister is the remedy, Gert Leers did not want to use it. In the end, the new minister Fredrik (Fred) Teeven changed the law and introduced the child pardon and Mauro could then finally stay in the Netherlands after the interim solution of the student visa, a study that was too high for him.
- In France, the Malian 22 year old boy, who saved a child hanging from the balcony railing on the fourth floor, was immediately regularized because of his act as a superhero and received the French identity card with the approval of all France. That day, the images were seen worldwide on all TV channels around the world. He was received by the President Emmanuel Macron, was immediately given a job, the mayor stood up for him and so on.
When the emotional sensitivity is unanimously carried example because of the ethical value of the act or because one steals the heart anything is possible.
- There is the magic of a child that breaks through everything.
- Disconnected with reality, living in a bubble, as mentioned above, prevents a correct judgment.
- When someone is sensationalist and a fake story is created, it is also impossible to arrive at a correct judgment.
- Taking no or too few precautions to avoid making mistakes also causes it to be a judgment for appearances’ sake.
- As a reminder, the issue must be properly explained. One cannot start from an axiom or prejudice or something that is based on nothing.
- If anything is missing from this point, this is the indication that one is wrong.
- One should also not lose sight of the fact that there are always indications coming to the surface, or things striking about the way reality is.
- The real issue deserves attention. A sub-data must not become the substitute for the real thing. This is an indication of deception.
- The whole should be consistent throughout.
- It is important to think about everything thoroughly to avoid deception.
The bundle on paper – named in ‘The making of’ – contains what is presented here in a nutshell, in more detail
Attorney Jonathan Rapping knows, “it’s really hard to be a caring lawyer. Caring is painful.” His organization, Gideon’s Promise, is inspiring a new generation of public defenders facing “the nation’s greatest civil rights issue today” – the tragic shortage of representation for those who can’t afford a lawyer.
Jonathan Rapping is strengthening public defenders and transforming public defense across the nation.
The 1963 Supreme Court ruling, Gideon V. Wainwright, mandated that poor people accused of crimes must be provided counsel if we are to live up to our nation’s promise of equal justice. Today, however, our nation’s jails and prisons are disproportionately populated with members of our most vulnerable communities due to structural, financial, and cultural challenges that have kept us from fulfilling this promise. Through Gideon’s Promise, Jon is building a new generation of public defenders to address these challenges and help shift the nation towards true equality in our justice system.
This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx
9 apr. 2011
Parking police woman hides the fire hydrant under her skirt and then gives a ticket to the people who park in that spot. A presentation of the Just For Laughs Gags. The funny hidden camera pranks show for the whole family. Juste pour rire les gags, l’émission de caméra caché la plus comique de la télé!